My role is to be a liaison between South Beach residents and the Code Enforcement Division of the City of Fort Pierce. The goal of code enforcement is to maintain compliance with City Codes adopted by the City Commission that establishes minimum standards for health, safety, and general welfare as well as to regulate conditions to prevent the creation of substandard living conditions within the City.
Code Enforcement Officers work hard to support our community here in South Beach. 356 Violations were issued here in 2020 – and this does not count the many warnings issued. The top 5 categories were:
Other Violations included interior issues, nuisance, non-operable vehicles, unlicensed vehicles, safety (covered windows), and sea turtle lighting. If you have questions about City Codes, all codes are on the City website, or you can call the department. Welcome brochures are available that explain some of the most common code requirements in our community. I would like to take this opportunity to remind you all of a few of these:
- Rental of any property for less than 6 months requires a Business Tax Receipt issued by the City. A BTR requires an approved Conditional Use Permit plus sales and tourism tax receipts in all residential districts. The State has many additional requirements to rent for less than 30 days, including a DBPR license and a long list of building and accessibility requirements.
- If you are doing any improvements to your property, please check with the Building Dept. to determine if a permit and/or a licensed contractor is required.
- Walton Rocks is the only pet-friendly beach and park in St. Lucie County, and pets must be on a leash and cleaned up after within the entire City.
- Fireworks are illegal in the City except for a new state law allowing them on July 4th and New Year’s Eve ONLY – this includes beaches and parks.
- Golf carts must be licensed to legally drive them in the City. This is a State requirement.
- Trash (this includes bulk items) can only be out from 7 PM before the pickup day until 7 PM the day of pickup. Monday is bulk and garbage. Thursday is landscape, recycle, and garbage.
If you have Code issues, use the City’s app, SeeClickFix, which can be found on the City website or in your app store. I’ll be happy to help you with this app if needed. We need all of you to be eyes and ears to maintain this beautiful community – if you see something, say something. Please get involved in ensuring that our neighborhoods maintain high standards. Thank you!